Thursday, August 26, 2004

Go west, young man!

I'm off!

I'm taking a long weekend that isn't tied to a national holiday, company mandated shutdown day or sick day. I got to choose this one all by myself! A small thing, I know, but important to some of us....

So, you're wondering, what exactly am I going to do with all this extra free time?

I'm glad you asked!

We will be spending the weekend in beautiful Oceanside, Oregon. It's a small town due west of Tillamook. Now, with luck, the weather forecast of overcast but no rain will hold. We will be staying in a cottage with a view of the ocean, I'm told. Pictures will be forth comming upon our return. There is a very nice resteraunt in Oceanside so we will have at least one good meal. I expect that we will do some exploring up and down the coast, enjoy the views and investigate the stores and shops along the way.

I hope to get a little quiet time too. I've just started Vol III of Churchills History of the English Speaking Peoples. William of Orange has just accepted the Crown (William II) and is preparing to do battle with Louis XIV. A major figure of the time is the Duke of Marlborough, one of Winston's ancestors. I want to find out how it ends.....

It is starting to dawn on us that we will be without net access for the weekend. A day without using a computer or surfing the internet? I can't remember the last time that happened. This will be different!

In other news:

The granddaughter in Washington (Tyfini) start school on Monday! The school year is spread out with larger breaks at the traditional times. High School! She has already won a spot on the Freshmen Cheerleading Squad. School Spirit!!!

The grandson (Eric) has started football practice. Flag football, but with shoulder pads, helmets and the whole works. I understand he has a few sore muscles.

So there you have it. More next week on how it went plus pictures. We will be taking the camera this time!

No comments: