Sunday, January 30, 2005

Is it spring yet?

Just got back from our Sunday walk with P & Bailey. A beautiful day today: partly cloudy, low 50's. A number of bushes are starting show their buds. Spring can't be too far? Next Wednesday is Groundhogs day afterall. Paula Fritchie's birthday. I haven't seen her since we left Michigan 50 years ago, but I've never forgotten that her birthday is on Groundhogs Day. Funny what sort of things get imprinted on your mind when you're four years old.

It was only a matter of time before this became the subject of academic inquiry: Click Here.
Thanks to Scripting News for the link.

My boss has given notice. He's found another job within the parent company. He has three week before he has to report to work in Texas. There goes my buffer. I don't know if his boss will be able to replace him. I'm going to have to train someone regardless: what I do and why it is important to the well being of the company. Have to make sure someone in authority knows. I'm the one in between Engineering and Manufacturing, trying to make sure that they each know what the other needs, that the information transfer is orderly, authorized and complete. Getting a brand new boss will depend on what sort of progress the engineers make on improving the latest tool. Consensus says we have 6 to 8 weeks to come up with something to show the (one particular) customer that we do know what we are doing and can come through with a machine that meets their needs. In the mean time, my engineering change work load has dropped off (but it will pick up as soon as the engineering experiments yield positive results.) It's not like I no longer have anything to do.... all those second and third tier tasks are finally making their way to the top of my To-Do list. Can't ignore them any longer!

Now, just because I can, I'm putting in a picture of one of my pens. It's one of my current favorites: a Pelikan 150 with a medium nib ground down to a .06mm stub. This means that it's a little like a nib used for caligraphy. Depending on the way you hold it and the direction of the stroke you will get a wider or narrower line. I have a journal I write in almost daily. This is the pen I've been using most for that task as of late.


pelikan 150

In future posts I will include pictures of some of my other pens. Hopefully I will get better an the display, presentation and photography of them. Just another trail on the path of discovery....

No comments: